The foods you eat play a role in keeping your brain healthy and can improve specific mental tasks, such as memory and concentration.
Brain-boosting foods tend to contain one or more of the following:
- antioxidants, such as flavonoids or vitamin E
- B vitamins
- healthful fats
- omega fatty acids
This article lists 9 foods that boost your brain:
- Avocados – A source of healthful unsaturated fat. Eating unsaturated fats may reduce blood pressure, and high blood pressure is linked with cognitive decline.
- Blueberries – are packed with antioxidants. Some of the antioxidants in blueberries have been found to accumulate in the brain and help improve communication between brain cells
- Broccoli – contains a number of compounds that have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, including vitamin K. This fat-soluble vitamin is essential for forming sphingolipids, a type of fat that’s densely packed into brain cells.
- Eggs – are a good source of several nutrients tied to brain health, including vitamins B6 and B12, folate and choline
- Green leafy veggies – like spinach, kale – contain key antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Salmon, sardines, trout – basically fatty fish. rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Your brain uses omega-3s to build brain and nerve cells, and these fats are essential for learning and memory
- Turmeric – curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier, meaning it can directly enter the brain and benefit the cells there. Also has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, which help the brain.
- Nuts – A 2014 review showed that nuts can improve cognition and even help prevent neurodegenerative diseases.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa powder are packed with a few brain-boosting compounds, including flavonoids, caffeine and antioxidants.The flavonoids in chocolate gather in the areas of the brain that deal with learning and memory. Researchers say these compounds may enhance memory and also help slow down age-related mental decline.
Be mindful of what you are eating. Get creative and incorporate these amazing brain – boosting foods into your daily diet.
if you want to read more about scientific research on nuts and berries and cognition, read this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24871475
Much LOVE and NAMASTE!